Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"Roads to Glory"

THE WORKOUT: Road to Glory- Acte 2 Pyrenean Edition
A description of the workout from the website:
Bring a little piece of mountain harmony to your home, and build your winter fitness at the same time with this 65 minute indoor training and route recon guide.
Join rider, writer and marketeer, Mike Cotty, in this inspiring journey as you tackle some of the most challenging and rewarding climbs and descents in the world. Designed to keep you motivated through the colder months, each climb is broken up into a series of 5-15 minute intervals with gentle recovery periods that provide a chance to catch your breath and enjoy the scenery.


Webb: I loved this workout. As someone who is both a poor climber and who ultimately needs to be a time-trialist, I need to develop muscular endurance. This was an excellent workout for that. This base phase workout develops the specific strength to improve force to the pedal while keeping the HR mostly down in zone 2. You'll jump up to zone 4 here and there, but for the most part you want to maintain a steady, medium effort.

Elle: I found this workout challenging, very different than The Sufferfest workouts, which are more about shorter, intense intervals, which I like. Going for more steady-state, incline intervals is something I probably need to do more of, but I missed the snarky comments and get-up-and-move music that I'm used to with the 'Fest. But it's probably good to mix things up every now and then.

Webb: The Sufferfest is fantastic for all the reasons we have documented. I was a little worried this would be boring. Quite to the contrary, I was surprised how quickly the time passed. The scenery is gorgeous. If you're a fan of the Tour de France, then you know how stunning the Pyrenees can be. The perspective from the bike and support car are markedly different though from helicopter shots. Also, Mike Cotty's commentary added just enough distraction to help me stay on task. (I love irony.) Overall, Cyclefilm has done a good job and I look forward to future volumes.

Elle: I was back on Darth Vader, since the new Cervélo is in the shop for a 30-day tune-up and to fix the wonky wheel situation (which might just be be a wonky tire situation). It was nice to get back in aero position, and I like the way the Trek shifts better too. Maybe after the Cervélo is back, it will be shifting more smoothly...

No comments:

Post a Comment